- Make sure tests don’t fail if vdiffr is missing.
In many ways, cowplot now behaves more appropriately and plays nicer with the R environment and other R packages. However, this means that several breaking changes were introduced:
- The default ggplot2 theme is no longer changed upon loading. You can add
theme_set(theme_cowplot()) to your code to restore the old behavior.
- The package ggplot2 needs to be loaded separately from cowplot, it is not automatically attached.
- All themes now use parameters
- The function
cowplot::ggsave() was renamed to
cowplot::ggsave2(), so that the ggplot2 version of ggsave() is no longer masked by the cowplot version.
Other breaking changes:
- The defaults for
save_plot() were changed somewhat. This may require adjustment if you have code depending on it.
- New functions
circle_key_glyph() make it possible to generate customized legend glyphs.
- Improved alignment of plots. Plots can now be aligned in a greedy manner, which improves the appearance of aligned plots with axis labels of very different sizes.
- The new functions
stamp_wrong() allow labeling of plots as good, bad, ugly, wrong, etc.
- Added a function
as_grob() that can convert base plots, lattice plots, and ggplot2 plots into grobs that can then be drawn using standard grid approaches.
- Much improved handling of base R plots, thanks to improvements in grid and gridGraphics. Requires R >= 3.6.0 and gridGraphics >= 0.4.
- Added a function
set_null_device() to customize the null graphics device that is used in
plot_grid(), etc. There is no one null device that always works, so customization is needed.
- Added several new themes, including
theme_cowplot() is now also available as
- Expanded functions for extracting plot components from ggplots via
get_plot_component() and several wrapper functions for getting titles, axes, panels, and so on. This also lets
get_panel() extract from plots with more than one panel.
get_panel_component() allows you to further extract components like geoms from the plot panel (@malcolmbarrett, #111).
- Minor tweaks to various legend layout parameters so that legends look better as the underlying theme font size is changed.
- Various minor fixes to
theme_cowplot() and derived themes.
background_grid() defaults so they match the new grid themes.
- All functions now understand both spellings of color/colour.
get_legend() now returns NULL if there is no legend, instead of raising an error.
- Fix regression tests to work with ggplot2 3.0.0
- Rewritten cowplot::ggsave function that calls ggplot2::ggsave
- More robust handling of R graphics device weirdness/plots popping up in the wrong places
- Make examples and vignettes fail gracefully when magick package is not installed
- Added a theme for maps,
theme_map(). Code provided by Spencer Fox, https://github.com/sjfox.
axis_canvas() function and related functions to make marginal plots and plot annotations simpler
- Now export the
plot_to_gtable function which converts most anything into a gtable for further use with cowplot
inherit.aes = FALSE to draw functions where needed
- Added examples to various draw functions
- Added draw_image() function to draw images onto plots
- The function plot_grid can now also handle base-R (graphics) plots. Code provided by https://github.com/flying-sheep.
- More sophisticated plot alignments of complex plots are now possible. Code provided by Spencer Fox, https://github.com/sjfox.
- Plot labels can now be styled. In particular, they follow the theme settings, e.g. if the theme uses a different font than default. This closes issue #37.
- The positioning of plot labels in
plot_grid can now be controlled with additional position parameters
label_y. This closes issue #32.
- Problems with elements from globally set themes leaking into the plot-grid background have been fixed. This closes issues #60, #63, #66.
- This version of cowplot has been prepared for the upcoming release of ggplot2 2.2.0. As a result of this upcoming switch, the function switch_axis_position() has been removed. Alternative axes will be natively supported by ggplot2 2.2.0.
- As of this version, cowplot requires R >= 3.3.0. This dependency was added because R 3.3 fixes a critical problem with lists of units.
- Updated plot_grid vignette so the tutorial on aligning plots of different types works again. This stopped working at some point and was removed from 0.6.1.
- Added new convenience function draw_figure_label() to label figures with labels such as “Figure 1”.
- Fixes in switch_axis_position() so that rotated axis labels work.
- Fix missing axis lines in ggplot2 2.1
- Now requires ggplot2 version 2.0.0 or higher. Use cowplot 0.5.0 with older versions of ggplot2.
- Because of the dependency on ggplot2 2.0.0, the default design is changed. No more bold face for axis labels
- Add auto-generation of labels in plot_grid()
- Add vignettes describing plot annotations and shared legends among plots
- Fix label positioning in plot_grid() so it is not affected by the scale parameter
- Add draw_label() function which can draw both text and plotmath expressions
- Add parameters hjust and vjust to plot_grid() to allow fine-tuning of label position
- Add annotations underneath plot, via add_sub() function
- Added a function switch_axis_position() which can move/copy the x and/or y axis of a plot to the other side
- plot_grid() can now align graphs
- plot_grid() can now make grids with varying column widths and row heights
- Various improvements in the documentation
- Code has been separated into multiple files for easier maintenance
First complete implementation ready for initial release